Biology Research Assistant
September 12, 2023
At Enko we believe that to create the future the world wants, we need to change the way the world grows. Our goal is not just to create something better, but to play a part in something bigger. Enko discovers and develops novel products for farmers to protect their crops from pests and disease.
· Our products address a $70 billion core market focused on crop health with expansion into adjacent markets worth $300+ billion
· We have $150 million in capitalization, with $80 million raised as part of a Series C in July 2022
· Our global investors include NuFarm, Anterra Capital, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Eight Roads Ventures, Finistere Ventures, Rabo Food & AgriInnovation Fund, Novalis LifeSciences, Taher Gozal, Germin8 Ventures, TO Ventures Food, Endeavor8, Connecticut Innovations, Silver Blue LLC, and Alumni Ventures Group.
· We have over 40 novel, active pipeline programs and 5 strategic partnerships announced, including Syngenta and Bayer
· Our headquarters and research facility in Mystic, CT has 90,000 square feet of state-of-the-art labs and computer-controlled greenhouses built for pre-field experimentation and scale
Our agricultural invention platform, Enkompass™, uses DNA encoded libraries, A.I. and machine learning to create more effective ways of finding and selecting the right treatments for the right targets– faster than anyone had ever imagined possible. Led by a team of proven scientists, entrepreneurs, and industry veterans, Enko’s innovative science, agile design, and discovery of new modes of action is producing next-generation crop protection solutions that will overcome the critical challenges facing industry. The industry has taken notice and we have active projects with many key industry players…with more to come!
Major responsibilities will include:
· Conduct bioassays using insects, plant pathogenic fungi, and weeds to test the effect of novel small molecules including compound preparation, test setup, and troubleshooting of routine problems.
· Routine production and propagation of material for used in bioassays including insect egg and diet preparation, fungal growth media preparation, and planting and propagation of crops and weeds.
· Assist in execution of experiments designed to with analytic sampling and testing techniques for experimental chemistries including molecule stability testing, plant mobility assessment, and insect microinjection.
· Assist with track sprayer application and greenhouse testing of novel chemistries.
· Responsible for routine maintenance and supply stocks for working labs including waste collection/disposal, restocking of consumables, safety stewardship, and monitoring of equipment.
· Collect and deposit laboratory data within ENKO’s internal data systems.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated an ability to reliably implement bioassays and effectively communicate results as well as flexibility and comfort working directly with and around insects, fungi, and plants routinely. Incumbents should be eager to learn new techniques in the laboratory and adapt to the needs of a fluid and dynamic working organization. They will have demonstrated a strong work ethic, a pride and ownership in what they do, and an ability to independently plan and execute their work as a member of diverse teams.
Qualifications and Skills
· 1-2 years research experience working in a laboratory or greenhouse environment is desired.
· Strong time management skills. Ability to effectively prioritize and manage assigned tasks.
· Ability to lift and carry items up to 50 lbs (e.g., filling and transport of soil and soil-filled pots).
· Ability to wear a respirator as needed for up to 4 hours per day.
· Proven ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
· Excellent written and oral communication.
· Special consideration will be given to candidates with prior training and experience in entomology, plant pathology, and/or weed science.
We are hiring across the organization to achieve our desired growth objectives, and our best asset is our team members. We value you and your career journey, and we will support your work/life balance. We are actively looking for individuals with a background in a relevant biological disciplines to join our teams in the discovery and characterization of novel small molecules to be utilized in crop protection against agronomically important insect, fungal, and weed pests.
· BS in Biology or a biological sciences-related discipline.